Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Sniffing in Stereo

We can hear in stereo, or rather hear a sound image in two parts. This allows the awareness of direction. We see images in two parts allowing depth of field to be judged. Without this benefit, we could not assess distance. We have two ears and two eyes.

Do we detect odours in stereo? We have two nostrils. How does the brain interpret different smells. A chiral molecule is in essence much like the left and right hands: mirror images and so quite different, but otherwise identical. Two such molecules may have a very different odour, though otherwise be identical. The olfactory organs can distinguish such a difference to a very high degree.

1 Comments:

Blogger Johnnyguitarman said...

I can sniff in stereo, yet I think in Mono. I breathe in stereo, yet see in mono, I feel in stereo yet hear in Mono. I have several senses.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:36:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home